Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Kirai Finished & GenCon

With the countdown clock ticking down to mere hours before my departure for GenCon, I appear to have set a new personal "best" by having my GenCon painting competition entry finished with enough time to spare that I can snap some pictures and present it here.

For those of you unfamiliar, this is Kirai, one of the masters of the Resurrectionist faction in the game Malifaux, which is the game that has been monopolizing nearly all of my time in the miniatures genre for some time now. I had substantially more grandiose plans for an entry in the Privateer Press painting competition, but I ran into a snafu that caused me to scramble to find a replacement. Since I actually play Malifaux, meaning Kirai here will be a model that does more than just sit in my miniatures cabinet, and Wyrd is supporting the overall GenCon painting competition with a manufacturer prize, I figured I'd take a shot at that competition. I'm pleased with how she turned out, but between my work here and on my aborted PP entry I've come to realize that I've more or less reached my peak of painting skill using my current skill set. So I've already committed to, upon returning from GenCon, broadening that skill set.

Not that I'm already looking forward to returning from GenCon already, of course. Despite being my 19th consecutive GenCon, I've still been looking forward to these four days with an enthusiasm that even a convergence of Christmas, my birthday, and an all-you-can eat Chinese buffet could hardly muster. I'll see friends I only get to hang out with once a year, I've got a lengthy list of Malifaux new and limited releases to grab as soon as I can fight my way through the Wyrd crowd Thursday morning, and, my greatest of hopes, I'll be able to bring home a copy of Catalyst's Leviathans game. No doubt my purchases won't be constrained to this scanty list, much to the chagrin of our "Saving to buy a house" savings account, and I'll be supporting the hobby industry widely.

I won't have my computer with me, so the blog will be silent during my trip (not that it's ever been particularly lively), but expect a full report, with pictures, when I return - I've already been instructed that such a report is expected by a few people.

No comments:

Post a Comment