Monday, September 30, 2013

GenCon 2013 - Dust & Dropzone Commander

Given it's been a month and a half since GenCon, those people interested in Dust and Dropzone Commander are no doubt already aware of these upcoming releases and have seen pictures of the models on the net themselves. But out of all of the miniatures that I encountered for the first time at the convention, these are the ones I drooled over the most (though the Internet and it's tendency to render little a surprise no doubt contributed to this sparse list).


Dust is one of those lines of figures, like Heavy Gear, that call to me enough that I find myself picking up a random model here and there, even though I know I have no opponent for the game. There's just something about their take on the "Weird WWII" genre and specifically the designs of their walkers that grabs me, and this future batch looks to be more of the same. The walker version of the Stummel I think is particularly inspired looking.

Dropzone Commander has intrigued me since it was first previewed. While I think the UCM and PHR models are spectacular, and the clean lines and crisp detail of the entire range is impressive, I'm not a fan of the alien designs. These little guys, representing the first models of a new faction of "left behind" human scavengers, looked great though, and might be just the jolt to push me over the edge into collecting some opposing skirmishing forces. Fortunately my hobby time and resources are stretched pretty thin at the moment, which should help delay my dive into a yet another new game. I've got one more GenCon post to pull together, looking at some of the games that I played in more than just a quick demo capacity, before jumping back into my (ir)regular painting posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment