Friday, February 17, 2006

The Apocalypse Is Coming . . .

. . . and the four horsemen will be riding in sponsor-emblazoned Monte Carlos.

Seriously, Nascar. Am I missing something here? I thought it's bubble came and went with the masses of unsold diecast cars bowing the shelves in Walmart's toy department.

But now I can't turn on my favorite local sports radio station without getting Nascar updates and ESPN has Chris Fowler anchoring live from the Daytona 500 a la GameDay style. I grumbled discontentedly enough when college basketball was being given the Fall saturday morning treatement on ESPN, but to see the same being extended to a "sport" that would bore even the most rabid of car-chasing dogs - ridiculous. It's like turning to the Westminster Dog Show and finding that the competition now includes dog fighting.

Of course, this is the same American audience that has chosen American Idol over the Olympics - even after that venerable athletic event chose to pander to the lowest common denominator by introducing a slew of "totally rad extreme" events.

*sigh* I think I'm getting old.

No comments:

Post a Comment