Monday, May 24, 2010

Planning for the future

As I've reiterated a few times, my miniatures gaming interests are pretty varied, so spending too much time, effort, or resources on any one project penalizes the others. This is especially true with 40K, where a paucity of regular opponents and a lack of great interest in the current incarnation of the rules means I'm planning an army mostly out of sentiment for times past and my love of the setting. This being the case, I'm going to plan out the entirety of my 40K marine collection. This will provide some framework for the project, ensure that I'm not distracted by a new unit or vehicle that doesn't fit within this list, and allow me to start selling off extra figures that don't have a home in the list.

You'll notice that this list includes far more options for certain troop categories than the basic game allows. This is because this is a list of all the figures I'm interested in building and painting, and from this list I'll choose my game time armies. As the marine codex, as with most codices, has most of its really neat troop types in the elites section, the list will be particularly top heavy. You might also note that the list doesn't allow for any of the typical competitive marine force builds. That's also on purpose, as I've come to realize I'm just not all that interested in competitive gaming anymore and I can't justify the time spent painting to produce an army that caters to tabletop effectiveness more than aesthetic appeal - spamming tactical squads and rhinos would get boring pretty quickly, in my opinion.

So, for now, my planned Poseidon Legion marine collection is the following:
  • HQ
    • counts as Lysander
    • counts as Shrike
    • Power Armored Chapter Master/Captain
    • Terminator Armored Chapter Master/Captain
    • Power Armored Chaplain
    • Power Armored Librarian
    • Master of the Forge
    • 3 man Honor Guard
    • 5 man Command Squad
    • Convertable Command Rhino/Razorback
    Elites
    • Sternguard Squad
      • 5-10 models w. full range of wargear options
      • Convertable Rhino/Razorback
    • Dreadnoughts
      • Venerable Dreadnought
      • 2 Dreadnoughts
      • Full complement of dreadnought weapon options for swapping
    • Ironclad Dreadnought
  • Troops
    • Tactical Squad 1
      • 10 marines
      • Sgt. w. Power Fist, Meltagun, Missile Launcher
      • Convertable Rhino/Razorback
    • Tactical Squad 2
      • 10 marines
      • Sgt. w. Power Weapon, Flamer, Heavy Bolter
      • Convertable Rhino/Razorback
    • Scout Squad
      • 10 scouts w. Sniper Rifles lead by Telion
    • Full set of Razorback weapon options
  • Fast Attack
    • 2 Landspeeders
      • Scratchbuilds based on RT-era landspeeder
      • Full set of magnetized weapon options
    • Possible 5-10 man Assault or Vanguard Squad
  • Heavy Support
    • 3 Predator Tanks
      • 2 Destructors w. Heavy Bolter Sponsons
      • 1 Destructor w. Lascannon Sponsons
      • All sponsons will be magnetized to allow future customization

With my project scoped out, the next step will be to organize the pieces from my collection necessary to build these units. With any luck, other than the landspeeders I should have everything I need to put this force together without spending a dime.

No comments:

Post a Comment