Thursday, August 02, 2012

Finished Steamborg Executioner

After dragging my feet over the last several months, I've finally got this bad boy finished - and I must say that I hope to not have to paint another one again.

Don't get me wrong.  I love the concept.  The assembly, while as fiddly as any of the other Arcanist arachnid models, was manageable.  It was in painting this beast that I ran into trouble though.

Granted, much of this stemmed from the paint scheme that I've been sticking to throughout all of Ramos' constructs - a heavy, unadorned, and well-used looking metallic.  But when applied to this guy, I ended up with a model with vast stretches of just plain metal.  The verdigris tarnish that I've been using, as well as some brighter silver scrap marks helped to break things up, but it still all felt too monotone.

My solution was to add some different metallic elements by trimming the standard worn coppery color with some brighter brass.  I think this did achieve the desired effect of breaking up the monotony, but he still feels like he's missing some "punch."

As usual, pics include both those using the flash, to show some of the slighter details, as well as a pair using only natural lighting. I hope you like him.

No comments:

Post a Comment